How To Get A Divorce?

What do I need to file for divorce?

Step 1 – Proof of Marriage. This is normally done with a marriage certificate. If it is in another language then you will need to change it to English, however, if you don’t have a marriage certificate then our family law experts can assist you in getting one.


Step 2 – Proof of Separation. You must show that you’ve been separated for at least 12 months before filing your divorce application. If you are still living together in the same house, you can be considered to be separated. You don’t need to officially register your separation, however, you should take note of the date that you and partner do separate. An easy way to do this is to write an email to one another confirming the date of separation.


Step 3 – Care of Children. If there are children involved with the relationship, you must have some arrangement where the children are safe and are properly taken care of. The court must be satisfied that the children are not being neglected and have a place to stay.


Step 4 – Submit divorce application online. Preparing and submitting a divorce application is now an easy process. The easiest way to submit a divorce application is online. In order to do this, you will need to register with the Family Court. You can do so by clicking here.


Step 5 – Serve application on ex-partner. Once you have completed your application, you must serve your application on your ex-partner. You must give it to your ex-partner at least 28 days prior to the divorce hearing. If they live overseas, you need to allow for 42 days.

What happens after I file for Divorce?

After you filed for divorce you will receive a hearing date that will be about 8 weeks from the point of filing.


First of all, you must make sure that the application for a divorce must be given (served) to the other party at least 28 days before the hearing date. You can do this yourself or organise a professional company or lawyer to do this for you.


Once this is done, the court will grant a ‘decree nisi’, meaning that the marriage will end on a proposed date. The proposed date is 1 month and 1 day after the decree nisi was granted. This will be the date that your divorce is finalised.

How To Get A Divorce?
Application for Divorce
How much does a divorce cost?
How Long Will It Take For My Divorce To Be Finalised?
Do I Have To Attend Court To Get A Divorce?
What is a Divorce Hearing?
How to get a divorce in Australia if married overseas?
Divorce Counselling
Should I Change my Will After a Divorce?
Child Custody
What are the best interests of the child?
Where Will My Children Live?
What is equal shared parental responsibility in Australia?
Sole Parental Responsibility
Visitation Rights
Changing A Child Custody Agreement
Child Relocation After Divorce
How To Prevent My Child Going Overseas?
What is Supervised Contact?
Child Passport After Divorce
Property Settlement
How Much Will I get?
Will I Receive 50% of Everything?
Coming To An Agreement Outside Of Court
Do I Pay Stamp Duty To Transfer My Property After A Divorce?
Financial Agreements
What is a Prenup?
What Can I Put In A Prenup?
Is It Too Late For A Prenup?
What Are The Pros and Cons of Financial Agreements?
What Financial Agreements Are There?
How Do I Make Sure My Agreement Is Binding?
How Can I Get A Prenup Set Aside?
Consent Orders
Why do I need Family Court Consent Orders?
Application for Consent Orders
Breach of Consent Orders
Child Support
What is Child Support?
Apply for Child Support
Child Support Calculation
Changing Child Support
Family Mediation
5 Tips to Help Prepare for Family Mediation
What is a s60i Certificate?
Going to Court
Starting An Application
Filing A Response
Can You Be Separated And Live In The Same House?
Domestic Violence
ADVO – Apprehended Domestic Violence Order
Remove My ADVO
What Is Child Abuse?
Father's Rights After Separation
Formalise Your Agreement
Tip's For Fathers
De Facto Relationships
Definition of De Facto Relationship
Rights in a de facto relationship
Contact us for your Free initial consultation. Available at our Sydney CBD office or on the telephone.