How Can I Get A Prenup Set Aside?

When a court will set aside a financial agreement

The Federal Circuit Court may set aside a prenup in a limited number of circumstances. These include:

  • the Agreement is void, voidable or unenforceable. This can be established if the Agreement was obtained through undue influence, duress of unconscionable conduct
    • An example of duress would be if an Agreement was signed too close to the wedding between the parties
  • the Agreement was obtained by fraud or failure to disclose important information
  • a party to the Agreement entered in order to defraud a creditor, or with reckless disregard to the interest of a creditor
  • the Agreement has become impracticable due to a ‘material’ change in the parties’ circumstances
  • if the Agreement is not set aside, there will be hardship for a child of the relationship due to a ‘material’ change in circumstances since signing the Agreement
  • the conduct of one of the parties in making the agreement was unconscionable (not right or unreasonable)
  • the Agreement covers at least one superannuation interest that is unsplittable (under Part VIIIB of the Family Law Act 1975 (Cth))
  • a payment flag is in operation on a superannuation interest (Part VIIIB of the Family Law Act 1975 (Cth)) covered by the agreement and it is unlikely that the payment flag will be lifted

The Court will NOT set aside an agreement if it is simply unfair to one of the parties.

Send Us A Message

How To Get A Divorce?
How to get a divorce in Australia if married overseas?
Divorce Counselling
Should I Change My Will After Divorce?
Child Custody
What are the best interests of the child?
What is equal shared parental responsibility in Australia?
Sole Parental Responsibility
Changing A Child Custody Agreement
Child Relocation After Divorce
How To Prevent My Children Travelling Overseas?
What is Supervised Contact?
Child Passport After Divorce
Grandparents Rights
Property Settlement
Divorce Property Settlement – How Much Will I Get?
Will I Receive 50% of Everything?
Coming To An Agreement Outside Of Court
Do I Pay Stamp Duty To Transfer My Property After A Divorce?
Financial Agreements
What is a Prenup?
What Are The Pros and Cons of Financial Agreements?
How Can I Get A Prenup Set Aside?
Consent Orders
Why do I need Family Court Consent Orders?
Application for Consent Orders
Contravention of Court Orders
Child Support
What is Child Support?
Apply for Child Support
Child Support Calculation
Changing Child Support
Family Mediation
5 Tips to Help Prepare for Family Mediation
What is a s60i Certificate?
Going to Court
Starting An Application
Filing A Response
Can You Be Separated And Live In The Same House?
Domestic Violence
ADVO – Apprehended Domestic Violence Order
Remove My ADVO
What Is Child Abuse?
Father's Rights After Separation
Formalise Your Agreement
Tip's For Fathers
Mothers' Rights After Separation
De Facto Relationships
Definition of De Facto Relationship

Send Us A Message