Is It Too Late For A Prenup?

It’s never too late

You may enter into a prenup at any point of your relationship. The official term for ‘prenup’ in Australia is a Financial Agreement.


Having a financial agreement in place ensures that you make your own rules about how you would like to split your assets in the event that you decide to separate in the future.


You do not need to have entered into a financial agreement before a relationship or marriage. You can see a lawyer at any point to get it done. This means you can get it done during a relationship, after your marriage, even after you separate.

Be mindful that both people in the relationship will need to receive independent legal advice to ensure that the financial agreement is valid.


It is not usually recommended that couples sign a financial agreement immediately before their wedding, as it could later be argued that the financial agreement was only signed because there was pressure on one side to pull out of the wedding.


In certain circumstances, if you enter into a financial agreement before having children, and separate and try to rely on the financial agreement after having children, a court may say that the financial agreement is no longer binding on both parties.


There are different types of financial agreements depending on the nature of your relationship. It is important that you make an agreement that is suitable to your circumstances. For more info on the different types of BFA’s, please contact us.

How To Get A Divorce?
Application for Divorce
How much does a divorce cost?
How Long Will It Take For My Divorce To Be Finalised?
Do I Have To Attend Court To Get A Divorce?
What is a Divorce Hearing?
How to get a divorce in Australia if married overseas?
Divorce Counselling
Should I Change my Will After a Divorce?
Child Custody
What are the best interests of the child?
Where Will My Children Live?
What is equal shared parental responsibility in Australia?
Sole Parental Responsibility
Visitation Rights
Changing A Child Custody Agreement
Child Relocation After Divorce
How To Prevent My Child Going Overseas?
What is Supervised Contact?
Child Passport After Divorce
Property Settlement
How Much Will I get?
Will I Receive 50% of Everything?
Coming To An Agreement Outside Of Court
Do I Pay Stamp Duty To Transfer My Property After A Divorce?
Financial Agreements
What is a Prenup?
What Can I Put In A Prenup?
Is It Too Late For A Prenup?
What Are The Pros and Cons of Financial Agreements?
What Financial Agreements Are There?
How Do I Make Sure My Agreement Is Binding?
How Can I Get A Prenup Set Aside?
Consent Orders
Why do I need Family Court Consent Orders?
Application for Consent Orders
Breach of Consent Orders
Child Support
What is Child Support?
Apply for Child Support
Child Support Calculation
Changing Child Support
Family Mediation
5 Tips to Help Prepare for Family Mediation
What is a s60i Certificate?
Going to Court
Starting An Application
Filing A Response
Can You Be Separated And Live In The Same House?
Domestic Violence
ADVO – Apprehended Domestic Violence Order
Remove My ADVO
What Is Child Abuse?
Father's Rights After Separation
Formalise Your Agreement
Tip's For Fathers
De Facto Relationships
Definition of De Facto Relationship
Rights in a de facto relationship
Contact us for your Free initial consultation. Available at our Sydney CBD office or on the telephone.