What is a s60i Certificate?

Section 60i Certifcate

Sometimes, you and your spouse might not be able to agree to child parenting arrangements. Additionally, you might be seeking to change an existing parenting order.


Before you make an Application to the Court to commence proceedings for a Parenting Order, you will need to attend Family Dispute Resolution. If the dispute cannot be resolved at the Family Dispute Resolution, you will need to obtain a Section 60I Certificate from the Family Dispute Resolution Practitioner who helped you. This Certificate must be filed with the Court Application.


NOTE: Only a Family Dispute Resolution Practitioner who is registered with the Attorney-General’s Department can issue a Section 60I Certificate.

The different types of s60i certificates

Section 60i of the Family Law Act outlines the 5 types of certificates that can be given to the Court by a Family Dispute Resolution (FDR) Practitioner:


Section 60I(8)(a)

The person did not attend FDR due to the refusal or failure of the other party, or other parties, to the proceedings to attend.


Section 60I(8)(aa)

The person did not attend FDR because the FDR Practitioner considered it would not be appropriate, in the circumstances, to conduct the proposed FDR.

  • Examples of matters which may mean FDR is inappropriate can be a risk of child abuse, history of family violence, the safety of the parties involved, and the emotional, psychological or physical health of the parties.


Section 60I(8)(b)

All parties to the proceedings attended and made a genuine effort to resolve the dispute, but were unable to do so.

  • The FDR Practitioner will consider what is a ‘genuine effort’. Examples can include each person’s willingness to participate in discussions and make compromises.


Section 60I(8)(c)

All parties to the proceedings attended but one or both did not make a genuine effort to resolve the dispute.


Section 60I(8)(d)

The FDR commenced but part way through proceedings, the Practitioner decided that it was not appropriate to continue.

How To Get A Divorce?
Application for Divorce
How much does a divorce cost?
How Long Will It Take For My Divorce To Be Finalised?
Do I Have To Attend Court To Get A Divorce?
What is a Divorce Hearing?
How to get a divorce in Australia if married overseas?
Divorce Counselling
Should I Change my Will After a Divorce?
Child Custody
What are the best interests of the child?
Where Will My Children Live?
What is equal shared parental responsibility in Australia?
Sole Parental Responsibility
Visitation Rights
Changing A Child Custody Agreement
Child Relocation After Divorce
How To Prevent My Child Going Overseas?
What is Supervised Contact?
Child Passport After Divorce
Property Settlement
How Much Will I get?
Will I Receive 50% of Everything?
Coming To An Agreement Outside Of Court
Do I Pay Stamp Duty To Transfer My Property After A Divorce?
Financial Agreements
What is a Prenup?
What Can I Put In A Prenup?
Is It Too Late For A Prenup?
What Are The Pros and Cons of Financial Agreements?
What Financial Agreements Are There?
How Do I Make Sure My Agreement Is Binding?
How Can I Get A Prenup Set Aside?
Consent Orders
Why do I need Family Court Consent Orders?
Application for Consent Orders
Breach of Consent Orders
Child Support
What is Child Support?
Apply for Child Support
Child Support Calculation
Changing Child Support
Family Mediation
5 Tips to Help Prepare for Family Mediation
What is a s60i Certificate?
Going to Court
Starting An Application
Filing A Response
Can You Be Separated And Live In The Same House?
Domestic Violence
ADVO – Apprehended Domestic Violence Order
Remove My ADVO
What Is Child Abuse?
Father's Rights After Separation
Formalise Your Agreement
Tip's For Fathers
De Facto Relationships
Definition of De Facto Relationship
Rights in a de facto relationship
Contact us for your Free initial consultation. Available at our Sydney CBD office or on the telephone.