Why do I need Family Court Consent Orders?

Why you need family court consent orders

If you and your ex have reached an agreement, there are major risks to leaving this agreement as informal.


A verbal or informal agreement can cause problems down the line. There can be misunderstandings, or one side can attempt to change what was agreed upon if personal circumstances change.


For example, your ex may lose their job 3 years after you’ve been separated. At the time of your separation, you agreed to walk your separate ways without any financial claim to one another. Because your ex has now lost their job, they come to you and ask for money or a financial settlement.

The benefits of consent orders

The most important advantage is protection from risks such as misunderstandings of attempts to change the agreement by one side. If an Order is breached, consequences can follow.

  • They are easier to enforce
  • If you need assistance for the Australian Federal Police they usually need to see a Court Order
  • You can do it yourself, you do not have to ask a lawyer
  • You can document your parenting, property and spousal maintenance agreements all in one document
  • You can apply for a Consent Order without actually having to go to Court
  • The Court will only approve Consent orders if they are satisfied that:
  • The agreements are just and equitable
  • Parenting arrangements are in the best interests of the child
How To Get A Divorce?
Application for Divorce
How much does a divorce cost?
How Long Will It Take For My Divorce To Be Finalised?
Do I Have To Attend Court To Get A Divorce?
What is a Divorce Hearing?
How to get a divorce in Australia if married overseas?
Divorce Counselling
Should I Change my Will After a Divorce?
Child Custody
What are the best interests of the child?
Where Will My Children Live?
What is equal shared parental responsibility in Australia?
Sole Parental Responsibility
Visitation Rights
Changing A Child Custody Agreement
Child Relocation After Divorce
How To Prevent My Child Going Overseas?
What is Supervised Contact?
Child Passport After Divorce
Property Settlement
How Much Will I get?
Will I Receive 50% of Everything?
Coming To An Agreement Outside Of Court
Do I Pay Stamp Duty To Transfer My Property After A Divorce?
Financial Agreements
What is a Prenup?
What Can I Put In A Prenup?
Is It Too Late For A Prenup?
What Are The Pros and Cons of Financial Agreements?
What Financial Agreements Are There?
How Do I Make Sure My Agreement Is Binding?
How Can I Get A Prenup Set Aside?
Consent Orders
Why do I need Family Court Consent Orders?
Application for Consent Orders
Breach of Consent Orders
Child Support
What is Child Support?
Apply for Child Support
Child Support Calculation
Changing Child Support
Family Mediation
5 Tips to Help Prepare for Family Mediation
What is a s60i Certificate?
Going to Court
Starting An Application
Filing A Response
Can You Be Separated And Live In The Same House?
Domestic Violence
ADVO – Apprehended Domestic Violence Order
Remove My ADVO
What Is Child Abuse?
Father's Rights After Separation
Formalise Your Agreement
Tip's For Fathers
De Facto Relationships
Definition of De Facto Relationship
Rights in a de facto relationship
Contact us for your Free initial consultation. Available at our Sydney CBD office or on the telephone.