Breach of Consent Orders

Contravention of orders

The Legal Term for a breach of orders is contravening’.


A person will contravene a Court Order if they:


  • Intentionally do not comply with the Order
  • Do not reasonably attempt to comply with the Order
  • Intentionally prevent someone else who must comply with the Order from doing so
  • Assist someone else to contravene the Order


If you are accusing someone of a contravention, you must:


  • file a formal, written Application to the Court for Contravention of a Court Order
  • prove that, on the ‘Balance of Probabilities’, it is more likely than not that the breach occurred


If you have contravened a Court Order, a Court can accept an excuse and waive penalties if it is a ‘reasonable excuse’. This might be when the Party who contravened the Order:


  • Did not understand the obligations of the Order
  • Believed, on reasonable grounds, that the actions that caused the breach were necessary to protect the health or safety of themselves, a child or another person
  • This is only reasonable if the time that the person was in breach of the Order was only as long as necessary to protect for health or safety reasons

What can a court do?

If the excuse is not accepted by the Court, then the Party that is found in ‘Contravention’ of the Order will face a penalty. This will depend upon the type of breach and the circumstances of the case.


The Court will consider:


  • Whether the breach is a minor or major contravention
  • How many times the Order was breached
  • Why the Order was breached
  • Other personal circumstances of the case


The Court can order the Contravening Party to:


  • Receive a Warning
  • Attend a post-separation parenting program
  • Pay all of some of the legal costs of the other Party
  • Paying a fine
  • Participate in community service
  • Pay compensation or reasonable expenses lost because of the breach
  • Enter into a bond
  • Be imprisoned
  • Not see any children of the marriage


The Court also has the power to:


  • Change the Order
  • Suspend the Order
  • Discharge the Order
  • Renew any earlier Orders, either in part or whole
  • Make an Order compensating the other Party (not in breach) for lost time with children of the marriage
  • Adjourn the matter and allow either Party to make an Application for a further, different Order instead


IMPORTANT: For the imposition of more serious penalties (such as major fines, a bond, community service or imprisonment), the Court may want to be satisfied ‘beyond reasonable doubt’ that the contravention occurred. This is a more difficult legal test than the ‘balance of probabilities’.

How To Get A Divorce?
Application for Divorce
How much does a divorce cost?
How Long Will It Take For My Divorce To Be Finalised?
Do I Have To Attend Court To Get A Divorce?
What is a Divorce Hearing?
How to get a divorce in Australia if married overseas?
Divorce Counselling
Should I Change my Will After a Divorce?
Child Custody
What are the best interests of the child?
Where Will My Children Live?
What is equal shared parental responsibility in Australia?
Sole Parental Responsibility
Visitation Rights
Changing A Child Custody Agreement
Child Relocation After Divorce
How To Prevent My Child Going Overseas?
What is Supervised Contact?
Child Passport After Divorce
Property Settlement
How Much Will I get?
Will I Receive 50% of Everything?
Coming To An Agreement Outside Of Court
Do I Pay Stamp Duty To Transfer My Property After A Divorce?
Financial Agreements
What is a Prenup?
What Can I Put In A Prenup?
Is It Too Late For A Prenup?
What Are The Pros and Cons of Financial Agreements?
What Financial Agreements Are There?
How Do I Make Sure My Agreement Is Binding?
How Can I Get A Prenup Set Aside?
Consent Orders
Why do I need Family Court Consent Orders?
Application for Consent Orders
Breach of Consent Orders
Child Support
What is Child Support?
Apply for Child Support
Child Support Calculation
Changing Child Support
Family Mediation
5 Tips to Help Prepare for Family Mediation
What is a s60i Certificate?
Going to Court
Starting An Application
Filing A Response
Can You Be Separated And Live In The Same House?
Domestic Violence
ADVO – Apprehended Domestic Violence Order
Remove My ADVO
What Is Child Abuse?
Father's Rights After Separation
Formalise Your Agreement
Tip's For Fathers
De Facto Relationships
Definition of De Facto Relationship
Rights in a de facto relationship
Contact us for your Free initial consultation. Available at our Sydney CBD office or on the telephone.